Africa, the landscape and the people.
Source: The dark continent; Africa, the landscape and the people by Hugo Adolf Bernatzik.
Published: Studio London 1931.
List of plates:
- Sara girl (Sara-Madjingaye).
Ovambo women, Ondonga S.W. Africa.
Nuer warrior with tribal mark on forehead.
Nuer, resting position South Sudan.
Chief in ceromonial dress, Gold Coast, Ghana.
Gate-keeper of a fetish courtyard, Gold Coast.
Wife of a Mangbetu Chief, Belgian Congo 1925
Swahili Woman, East Africa.
Fanti woman. Ethnic group of the Akan, Ivory Coast.
Kanembu Girl, Lake Tchad.
Wodaabe Bororo woman, Banyo, French Cameroons, Mandated Territory.
Gate-keeper of the Jeve League, Gold Coast.
Ewe child, Adaklu District, Togo.
Moru Dance South Sudan.
Tatooing a Jarawa woman, Nigeria.
Nuer Woman, South Sudan.
Yetsang Girl (Southern Cameroons).
Bodyguard of Sultan Sanda of Bornu, Dikwa Emirate Nigeria.
Eastern Djur Ghana, Mother and Child.
Kanuris playing dice, Dikwa Nigeria.
Tournament in Dikwa, Borno State, Nigeria.
Young Musgu shepherds, banks of the Logone.
Cloud of weaver-birds on the Dinder.
Victoria Falls of the Zambezi.
Uluguru Mountains, Tanganyika Tansania.
Southern Rhodesian Landscape.
Archaen rock cones in the Namib Desert.
Baga fetish temple. West African ethnic group on the coast of Lower Guinea. Main groups of Baga are the Koba, Fore and Sitemu.
Ikandu Falls near Newcastle.
Granitic rocks on Lake Victoria.
Flock of gannets (Sula capensis), S.W. African coast.
Mundang houses, Léré, Mayo Kebi Chad.
Brooding penquins, Dassen Island, Cape Colony.
Native Church in Pandemai, Liberia.
Fleeing ostriches, Tonga, White Nile.
Captured and plucked ostriches belonging to Shua Arabs, Bornu.
Volcanic formation (Mawenzi), Kilimanjaro.
Oil-palms (Elaeis), Belgian Congo.
Houses of the wives of the king of Bamum, Foumban, northeast Cameroon.
Forest on Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Falls of the Tana River near Fort Hall, Kenya.
Clay fetish of the Ewe tribe, Gold Coast Ghana.
Aloe tree and Euphorbia, Nama Land, S.W. Africa.
Masai warrior with spear, shield and lion headdress.
Masai warrior in 1907. With spear, shield and lion headdress. Masai are an East African ethn... Read more
10s • 20th Century • Africa • Hairstyle • Headdresses • Military • Tanzania • Traditional
Warrior from Amhara, Ethiopia. The Oriental Album.
Warrior from Amhara, Ethiopia. The Oriental Album. Characters, costumes, and modes of life, in th... Read more
1850 • 19th Century • Africa • Ethiopia • Military
Usagara. Chief of Mamboya, with his son and witch doctor.
Chief of Mamboya, with his son and witch doctor. Usagara, Tanzania Source: In Dwarf Land a... Read more
1899 • 19th Century • Africa • Tanzania
- Suisse costumes nationaux
- Traditional French national costumes.
- Tyrolean national costumes 1835.
- Souvenir de L’Exposition Universelle de Vienne.
- Costumes of Japan and Java.
- Historical Asia costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- Our islands and their people. Hawaii, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Cuba.
- Costumes of all countries by Alexandre Lacauchie 1850s.
- Historical and folk costumes by Franz Lipperheide.
- The costume of Turkey. Ottoman Empire 18th century.
- Traditional Dutch national costumes.
- The Switzerland national costumes of 17th ‚18th, 19th century originals.
- Folk dresses from Norway, Dutch, Germany and Hungaria.
- Mexico by Carl Nebel 1836.
- Provincial Russia. Costume and Culture.
- Costume of the Russian empire by Edward Harding.
- Serbian national costumes by Vladimir Kirin.
- Historical European costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- The Highlanders of Scotland, 1870.
- Costumes and scenery of Afghanistan.
- Views of Darjeeling: With typical native portraits and groups.
- The dark continent. Africa, the landscape and the people 1931.
- Historical costumes from Africa, America and Oceania.
- Traditional folk costumes of Italy and France in 1821.
- The Serbs in the Adriatic. Their types and costumes 1870-1878.
A Chinese Mandarin. Historical Chinese costume in 1799.
A MANDARIN OF DISTINCTION IN HIS HABIT OF CEREMONY Historical Chinese costume in 1799. Qing dyna... Read more
1799 • 18th Century • Asia • China • Court dress • Traditional
The Pilot. Costume of Dieppe, Seine-Maritime in 1821
The Pilot. Costume of Dieppe, Seine-Maritime in 1821. FRENCH PILOT conducting the packet to the... Read more
1821 • 19th Century • France • Traditional
Japanese Seller of basketry. Traditional Japan costumes.
Japanese Seller of basketry. Marchande de vannerie. Published by Autour du Monde. Souvenirs de V... Read more
1895 • 19th Century • Asia • Japan • Traditional
Bavarian traditional costume from Göppingen, 1860.
Bavarian traditional costume from Göppingen, 1860. Allemagne Nº5 (Baviére) Femme de Goppingen.... Read more
1860 • 19th Century • Germany • Traditional