Africa, the landscape and the people.
Source: The dark continent; Africa, the landscape and the people by Hugo Adolf Bernatzik.
Published: Studio London 1931.
List of plates:
- Sara girl (Sara-Madjingaye).
Ovambo women, Ondonga S.W. Africa.
Nuer warrior with tribal mark on forehead.
Nuer, resting position South Sudan.
Chief in ceromonial dress, Gold Coast, Ghana.
Gate-keeper of a fetish courtyard, Gold Coast.
Wife of a Mangbetu Chief, Belgian Congo 1925
Swahili Woman, East Africa.
Fanti woman. Ethnic group of the Akan, Ivory Coast.
Kanembu Girl, Lake Tchad.
Wodaabe Bororo woman, Banyo, French Cameroons, Mandated Territory.
Gate-keeper of the Jeve League, Gold Coast.
Ewe child, Adaklu District, Togo.
Moru Dance South Sudan.
Tatooing a Jarawa woman, Nigeria.
Nuer Woman, South Sudan.
Yetsang Girl (Southern Cameroons).
Bodyguard of Sultan Sanda of Bornu, Dikwa Emirate Nigeria.
Eastern Djur Ghana, Mother and Child.
Kanuris playing dice, Dikwa Nigeria.
Tournament in Dikwa, Borno State, Nigeria.
Young Musgu shepherds, banks of the Logone.
Cloud of weaver-birds on the Dinder.
Victoria Falls of the Zambezi.
Uluguru Mountains, Tanganyika Tansania.
Southern Rhodesian Landscape.
Archaen rock cones in the Namib Desert.
Baga fetish temple. West African ethnic group on the coast of Lower Guinea. Main groups of Baga are the Koba, Fore and Sitemu.
Ikandu Falls near Newcastle.
Granitic rocks on Lake Victoria.
Flock of gannets (Sula capensis), S.W. African coast.
Mundang houses, Léré, Mayo Kebi Chad.
Brooding penquins, Dassen Island, Cape Colony.
Native Church in Pandemai, Liberia.
Fleeing ostriches, Tonga, White Nile.
Captured and plucked ostriches belonging to Shua Arabs, Bornu.
Volcanic formation (Mawenzi), Kilimanjaro.
Oil-palms (Elaeis), Belgian Congo.
Houses of the wives of the king of Bamum, Foumban, northeast Cameroon.
Forest on Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Falls of the Tana River near Fort Hall, Kenya.
Clay fetish of the Ewe tribe, Gold Coast Ghana.
Aloe tree and Euphorbia, Nama Land, S.W. Africa.
Felup and Mandingo from the village of Fulier at the Senegal.
Felup and Mandingo from the village of Fulier at the Senegal. From "Full Peoples Gallery in image... Read more
1840 • 19th Century • Africa • Senegal
Arabia, Africa. Tuareg Warrior. Historical clothing.
Arabia, Africa. Tuareg Warrior. Guerrier de Tuarick. From the book: Manners, customs and cos... Read more
19th Century • Africa • Arabia • Middle East
African King of Bussa. Kingdom of Oyo, Western Sudan.
African King of Bussa. Kingdom of Oyo, Western Sudan. Roi de Boussa. Source: Mœurs, usag... Read more
19th Century • Africa • Nobility • Sudan
- Suisse costumes nationaux
- Traditional French national costumes.
- Tyrolean national costumes 1835.
- Souvenir de L’Exposition Universelle de Vienne.
- Costumes of Japan and Java.
- Historical Asia costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- Our islands and their people. Hawaii, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Cuba.
- Costumes of all countries by Alexandre Lacauchie 1850s.
- Historical and folk costumes by Franz Lipperheide.
- The costume of Turkey. Ottoman Empire 18th century.
- Traditional Dutch national costumes.
- The Switzerland national costumes of 17th ‚18th, 19th century originals.
- Folk dresses from Norway, Dutch, Germany and Hungaria.
- Mexico by Carl Nebel 1836.
- Provincial Russia. Costume and Culture.
- Costume of the Russian empire by Edward Harding.
- Serbian national costumes by Vladimir Kirin.
- Historical European costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- The Highlanders of Scotland, 1870.
- Costumes and scenery of Afghanistan.
- Views of Darjeeling: With typical native portraits and groups.
- The dark continent. Africa, the landscape and the people 1931.
- Historical costumes from Africa, America and Oceania.
- Traditional folk costumes of Italy and France in 1821.
- The Serbs in the Adriatic. Their types and costumes 1870-1878.
Traditional Slovakia Child costume. Boy from Dobrá Niva.
Boy in traditional costume from Dobrá Niva, Slovakia. Dobra Niva, in German called Döbring or... Read more
20th Century • Child • Slovakia • Traditional
Sumatra Pencak costume. Popular dance and martial arts.
Sumatra Pencak costume. Pencak Silat is a martial art from Southeast Asia with its center in Indo... Read more
19th Century • Asia • Traditional