Ancient Assyrian warriors with large Stand Shield. Warrior with Hand Shield. Archer.
The Assyrians were a nation in central and northern Mesopotamia (Iraq). They repeatedly exercised hegemony over northern Mesopotamia and northern Syria and conquered by the king Tiglath-Ninurta I (1233-1197 BC) even Babylon. The Assyrians were a very warlike nation on a high stand, the main cultural influences based on Sumerian culture, but also Hittites and Persia influenced their development. The Neo-Assyrian Empire (ca. 750-620 BC) is considered the first great empire in world history.
The clothing consisted in the main of the tunic, and a scarf. The size, color and material of the clothes varied according to social status and consisted in the main of linen and wool. The decoration consisted of rich ornamentation. Jewelry, woven and embroidered pattern and fringe were used in great abundance. A wide belt, as he is seen on old drawings was probably reserved for men.
The warriors of the Assyrians clothed with tunic and wide scarf, high leather boots and gaiters, on his head a helmet with plume. Hides and skins were used as decoration of armor. They were excellent fighters with the bow and arrow, lance (Ulmu) and shield and a sword of bronze, were armed. Iron coats of mail and swords were exchanged at a later period of the empire of the Hittites. The warriors of the army had been equipped by the state and by the end of their service time for them to return back to the state.
Associated with: Assyrian and Babylonian culture. Costume History, Decoration. Characteristic elements of style.
- Offensive and defensive armor and weapons.
- Abbotsford; the personal relics and antiquarian treasures of Sir Walter Scott.
- Armor in England from the 10th to the 18th century
- Life-size warrior figures in full armor and equipment.
- 16th Century – German armor art.
- The Knights of the Teutonic Order of Knighthood.
- The First Crusade. The Knights Hospitallers.
- The Crusades. The Knights Templar.
- The Crusaders in the 12th and 13 Century.
- Knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece 16th century.
- German Renaissance Fashion in the 16th Century.
- German blackened steel armor. Renaissance weapons.
- Middle Ages fashion history in Germany. 11th to 13th century.
- Gallic and Gallo-Roman helmets of Celtic warriors.
- Clans in the Roman Empire. The shields of the Gauls.
- The Varangian Guard. Viking Chiefs 5th Century.
- Lansquenet. German renaissance military.
- Germany military in 1530. Renaissance Mercenaries.
- German mercenaries around 1620.
- German lansquenets during the thirty Years’ War.
- Knights tournament. Renaissance 16th century.
- Firearms and offensive weapons. Renaissance 16th century.
- 30 years war weapons. Helmet, gloves and a musketeer rifle.
- Iron Gloves, gauntlets of the 15th century.
- The Schaller. Helmet and neck cover from the 15th century.
- Mounted Knights. Heavy cavalry 16th century.
- Pictures and Royal Portraits illustrative of English and Scottish History.