Saint Maurice was the Celtic Acauno place on the Upper Rhone Valley, which was expanded by the Romans to the garrison for its outstanding strategic location. The Roman centurion Mauritius allegedly suffered there with all his soldiers towards the end of the 3rd Century. The remains of Mauritius and his companions were transferred by Bishop Theodore, the first bishop of Valais, in a shrine at the base of the rock at today’s town of Saint-Maurice.
Published by Pierre Hélyot (1660–1716), Franciscan friar and historian.
L’Histoire des ordres monastiques, religieux, et militaires, et des congregations seculieres, de l’un et de l’autre sexc, qui opt ate etablies jusqu’d present (History of Religious and Military Orders.), published in 8 volumes in 1714-1721. Artists and Engravers P. Giffart, Thomassin, T. Duflos.
Associated with: The Rise of Monachism. Monastic costumes history.