Medieval Merovingian Frankish Queen.
Clotilde or Chrodechild (475–545), princess of Burgundy, was the second wife of Merovingian Frankish king Clovis I (Salian Frankish dynasty), and by this marriage, Queen of the Franks. She confessed to Catholicism and contributed to the decision in Clovis, also accept this form of Christianity.
After the death of Clovis in 511 Clotilde founded monasteries and churches. She became, like her husband and her daughter buried in the Church of the Apostles in Paris, the later church of Sainte-Geneviève.
Saint Clothilde as she is honored as patroness of women and notaries. She is often represented with a model of the church and a book, donating the poor. Her celebration is the 3rd June. Clotilde is revered as sacred by the Church.
Source: “Modes et Costumes Historiques“. Edited by Hippolyte Louis Emile and Polidor Jean Charles Pauquet. Published by Cassell, Petter & Galpin London, 1864
(Merovingian, Carolingian, Frankish, British, Anglo-Saxon, Roman, Celtic, Byzantine, Levante, early Medieval, costume history)
- Frankish Merovingian costume history 4th and 5th century.
- Clovis. The Merovingian Dynasty.
- The Barbarian Invasions. The Migration Period in Europe, 395-527 A. D.
- The Byzantine Fashion History 5th to 6th century.
- The Carolingian fashion period 752-987. Reign of Charlemagne.
- The Carolingian Fashion Period 987 to 1270.
- Europe in the time of Charles the Great 768 – 814. (Maps, Places).
- Ancient British period. Fashion history of England. Bronze age.
- Britannia Saxonica. Chronology of the Anglo-Saxons.
- Celt and Roman. History of England 43 BC to 440 AD.
- The Gallic and Gallo-Roman costume period.
- Ancient Roman costume history. B.C. 53 to A.D. 450.
- The Roman Tunica or Greek Chiton.
- The Roman Paenula. The cowl or hood.
- Roman legionary in full armor.
- The Toga and the manner of wearing it.
- Gallic and Gallo-Roman helmets of Celtic warriors.
- Roman Britain. Maps, Places, Tribes. Historical atlas.
- The shields of the Gauls. Clans in the Roman Empire.
- Costume history of the Persians and other Asiatics.
- Collection of ancient costumes Egyptian, Greek, Roman and others.
- On the origin of the pants by Max Marcuse
- Roman, Greece and Egypt. The Corset and the Crinolin fashion history.
- Alfred the Great. The first English king.
- King Harold II. Last Anglo-Saxon king of England.
- Monachism. Monastic costumes history.
- History of costumes from ancient until 19th century (Collection)
- 11th to 13th century. French fashion history.
- 11th to 13th century. German fashion history.
- 11th to 15th century. Caps and Hoods fashion.