A Pilgrim going to Loretto.
PILGRIMAGES have generally been neglected during these latter years. The shrines of Loreto and St. James of Gallicia cannot, like that of St. Thomas of Becket at Canterbury in former times, show the stones worn away by the devout kisses of the modern far-wandering penitent. Devotion is old-fashioned every where on the continent, and the prayer of the higher ranks is more often copied from the wild imaginations of St. Rousseau or St. Goethe, than from the more sober works of St. Austin or St. Carlo Borromeo. In the lower orders there are yet some few who, from devotion really, with bare feet and sackcloth round their body, perform the religious journey to some holy shrine; and there are many who put on this dress in hopes that the cross may excite christian charity, when they find by experience that human pity is extinct.
They are frequently seen begging their way to Loreto; their large hat is sometimes slung back; they carry a cross, from which relicts are frequently suspended; the shoulders are generally covered with oil-skin, to which are fastened shells, crosses, &c. Many of these travel over the most rugged roads barefoot. The back ground shows one of those crosses constantly met with on the high ways in Italy.
- Tyrolean national costumes 1835.
- Souvenir de L’Exposition Universelle de Vienne.
- Costumes of Japan and Java.
- Historical Asia costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- Costumes of all countries by Alexandre Lacauchie 1850s.
- Historical and folk costumes by Franz Lipperheide.
- The costume of Turkey. Ottoman Empire 18th century.
- Traditional Dutch national costumes.
- Traditional French national costumes.
- The Switzerland national costumes of 17th – 19th century originals.
- Folk dresses from Norway, Dutch, Germany and Hungaria.
- Mexico by Carl Nebel 1836.
- Provincial Russia. Costume and Culture.
- Costume of the Russian empire by Edward Harding.
- Serbian national costumes by Vladimir Kirin.
- Historical European costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- The Highlanders of Scotland, 1870.
- Costumes and scenery of Afghanistan.
- Views of Darjeeling: With typical native portraits and groups.
- Africa, the landscape and the people 1931.
- Historical costumes from Africa, America and Oceania.
- Traditional folk costumes of Italy and France in 1821.
- The Serbs in the Adriatic. Their types and costumes 1870-1878.