Piper William Macdonald.
The Highlanders of Scotland. WILLIAM MACDONALD. H.R.H. The Prince of Wales Piper. Dressed in the tartan of the Duke of Rothesay, one of H.R.H.`s titles.
Born 1843, at Esgard, in Glen Urquhart. His father, Alexander Macdonald, was born in 1807, in Glen Urquart, on the Earl of Seafield`s property, and is a sawmiller in Lord Seafield`s employment. He married Mary Chisholm, born in the same glen, and has three sons and two daughters. The eldest son is a tenant in Strathspey; the second Alexander, is Piper to Mr. Macpherson, of Glen Truim; one of the daughters, wife of Donald Macdougall, smith, in Glen Urquhart, was pamted by Phillips, in one of his last sketches, entitled ” The Cradle.”
William Macdonald, the youngest son, was two years in Badenoch, in the employment of Mr. Macpherson, of Glen Traim, as gamekeeper, and afterwards two and a half years with John Fisher, Esq., tenant of the Shooting of Colonel Macpherson, of Belleville, also Badenoch. William Macdonald was appointed Piper to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales in 1865. He is a very unassuming man, and a good servant. His ancestors followed Glengarry, as their Chief.
William MacDonald, painted at Abergeldie in 1866 for Queen Victoria by Kenneth MacLeay.
The Highlanders of Scotland.
Source: PORTRAITS ILLUSTRATIVE OF THE PRINZIPAL CLANS AND FOLLOWINGS AND THE RETAINERS OF THE ROYAL HOUSEHOLD AT BALMORAL, IN THE REIGN OF HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA, BY KENNETH MACLEAY, ESQ., R.S.A. With topious Notices from Authentic Sources. In colored Lithographs by Vincent Brooks. London: Mr. Mitchel, Publisher to her Majsty, 33, Old Bond Street, W. Edinburgh: Blackwood and Sons. 1870.
- Traditional French national costumes.
- Tyrolean national costumes 1835.
- Souvenir de L’Exposition Universelle de Vienne.
- Costumes of Japan and Java.
- Historical Asia costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- Our islands and their people. Hawaii, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Cuba.
- Costumes of all countries by Alexandre Lacauchie 1850s.
- Historical and folk costumes by Franz Lipperheide.
- The costume of Turkey. Ottoman Empire 18th century.
- Traditional Dutch national costumes.
- The Switzerland national costumes of 17th ‚18th, 19th century originals.
- Folk dresses from Norway, Dutch, Germany and Hungaria.
- Mexico by Carl Nebel 1836.
- Provincial Russia. Costume and Culture.
- Costume of the Russian empire by Edward Harding.
- Serbian national costumes by Vladimir Kirin.
- Historical European costumes by Auguste Wahlen.
- The Highlanders of Scotland, 1870.
- Costumes and scenery of Afghanistan.
- Views of Darjeeling: With typical native portraits and groups.
- Africa, the landscape and the people 1931.
- Historical costumes from Africa, America and Oceania.
- Traditional folk costumes of Italy and France in 1821.
- The Serbs in the Adriatic. Their types and costumes 1870-1878.