Ruins of Orchomenos in Boeotia before the excavations.

Ancient, Ruins, Orchomenos, Boeotia, excavations, Greece, Edward Dodwell,
Ruins of Orchomenos in Boeotia before the excavations. Drawing by Edward Dodwell, before 1821


THIS celebrated city, which in the earliest times was proverbial for its wealth 1), was founded, according to Pausanias 2), by the Thessalian Andreos, from whom it derived the name of Andreis. It was afterwards called Phlegyas, from a son of Mars, and subsequently Orchomenos, from a grandson of Neptune of that name, who was the son of Minyas.

The ancient appellation of Orchomenos has, by the modern inhabitants, been converted into that of Skripou. Its acropolis, which is here represented, stands on a steep and rocky acelivity, part of Mount Akontios, which rises to the west of the lower town, with the Cephissos winding at its southern base. The walls, which extend from the plain to the summit of the hill, enclose an irregular triangle, with the acute angle terminating at the summit of the rock, which is crowned with a large square tower regularly constructed, and approached by ninety-one steps excavated in the rock.

The three first styles 3) of early military construction are observed in the walls of the acropolis. The Tirynthian style is only seen in a few places; the well-joined polygonal is the most predominant, and the walls appear to have suffered at least two great overthrows. We know, from the testimony of Diodorus Siculus 4), that the city was destroyed by Hercules, and that it experienced a similar catastrophe in the war against the Thebans, which happened about 364 years before Christ.

The rough Tirynthian style, which is observed in the walls, was probably anterior to the time of Hercules. The acropolis was approached by three gates, one of which was at its eastern base, another in the northern side, and the third on the southern; the latter is entire, and is covered with two large blocks forming the lintel. The most celebrated edifice at Orchomenos was the treasury of Minyas, which Pausanias 5) designates as one of the wonders of Greece. It was of white marble. The entrance, which is still entire, is covered with a lintel of a single block of marble, fifteen feet four inches in length, six feet three inches in breadth, and three feet three inches in thickness.

Note:  Oporto. The busy scene of the Custom-house Quay.

The present view represents the southern side of the acropolis. Parnassos, covered with snow, is seen in the distance, with Daulis, Panopeus, and Chaeroneia, rising from the memorable plain in which Greece made the last great hut ineffectual struggle for her liberty and independence. The pointed mountain on the left of Parnassos is Kirphis. The river is the Cephissos, which rises at Lilae. The figures are Albanian Christians.

1) Homer. Strabo, b. 9. p. 414, who cites Homer, Iliad, 9. v. 381.
2) B. 9. c 34.
3) For different specimens of these walls see the appendix of my Tour through Greece. It is my intention to publish, in a short time, a work upon the Cyclopian and Pelasgic remains of Greece and Italy, which will contain numerous lithographical engravings by Charles Hullmandel, Esq. This work is intended to represent the extraordinary and magnificent ruins of the heroic ages, which ore little known, and have been seldom visited, particularly those of Italy.
4) B. 4. c. 10.
5) B. 9. c. 38.

Source: Views in Greece. Drawings by Edward Dodwell. Rod Well and Martin, London, 1821.


Support and Seduction: The History of Corsets and Bras (Abradale Books) by Beatrice Fontanel.

Thoughout the ages, women's breasts have been subjected to the endless whims of fashion.

From the ancient Greeks to Mae West and Madonna, this light-hearted book charts the changing shapes of female beauty. The elegant and amusing images - including fashion drawings, paintings, photographs, and film stills - illustrate the often surprising history of the garments women have worn for support - and seduction.

Leave a Reply

Auguste Racinet. The Costume History by Françoise Tétart-Vittu.

Racinet's Costume History is an invaluable reference for students, designers, artists, illustrators, and historians; and a rich source of inspiration for anyone with an interest in clothing and style. Originally published in France between 1876 and 1888, Auguste Racinet’s Le Costume historique was in its day the most wide-ranging and incisive study of clothing ever attempted.

Covering the world history of costume, dress, and style from antiquity through to the end of the 19th century, the six volume work remains completely unique in its scope and detail. “Some books just scream out to be bought; this is one of them.” ―

The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World Paperback – December 7, 2021
by Virginia Postrel (Author)

From Neanderthal string to 3D knitting, an “expansive” global history that highlights “how textiles truly changed the world” (Wall Street Journal)

Fashionpedia - The Visual Dictionary Of Fashion Design

Fashionpedia - The Visual Dictionary Of Fashion Design

FASHIONPEDIA is a visual fashion dictionary covering all the technical terms from style to material to production with illustrations and infographics. It encompasses rich, extensive information and yet is easy to read. Whether you are an industry insider or a fashion connoisseur, FASHIONPEDIA is all you will ever need to navigate the fashion scene.

Textilepedia. The Complete Fabric Guide.

The Textile Manual is an encyclopaedia of textile information, from material to yarn, from fabric structure to the finishing process. Encompassing practical tips for a range of textiles and detailed visuals, this ultra-accessible manual is the perfect companion for fashion aficionados and aspiring fashion designers.


Couture: then and now Clothes define people. A person's clothing, whether it's a sari, kimono, or business suit, is an essential key to his or her culture, class, personality, or even religion. The Kyoto Costume Institute recognizes the importance of understanding clothing sociologically, historically, and artistically.