The Washing Place of the Hotel-Dieu, Paris.

Aquatint, engraving, Lavoir, l'Hôtel Dieu, Nattes.
Le Lavoir de l’Hôtel Dieu (1809). By J. C. Nattes.

Le Lavoir de l’Hotel Dieu et le Pont de la Tournelle (1809).

By John Claude Nattes (c.1765-1822). Illustration from Views of Versailles, Paris and Saint Denis.

The Pont au Double seen from the Pont Saint-Charles. The Washing Place of the Hotel-Dieu.

The Saint Charles bridge was destroyed in 1854 and replaced by a wooden footbridge. The part of the Hôtel-Dieu on the Ile de la Cité having been destroyed in 1866, to be replaced by a New Hôtel-Dieu on the other side of the Notre Dame square. In 1878, the Passerelle Saint Charles was demolished.

Source: Aquatint engraving; a chapter in the history of book illustration by Sarah Treverbian Prideaux. London : Duckworth & Co. 1909.

illustration, goat

Related