The tomb of Zechariah in the valley of Jehoshaphat, Israel.

Zechariah, tomb, Jehoshaphat, Israel, Holy Land, David Roberts,
The tomb of Zechariah, valley of Jehoshaphat

The Tomb of Zechariah is one of the four known rock tombs in the Kidron Valley in Jerusalem. It dates from the time of the Herodian Temple. The Tomb of Zechariah is called a “tomb”, but it is a monolith carved out of the naturally grown rock and does not contain a burial chamber. The term “monument” is therefore more accurate.


There are four monumental structures in the Valley of Jehoshaphat, on the east side of the Kidron, and opposite to the south-east corner of the Grand Mosque. Those have received from monks and travelers the names of the Tombs of Jehoshaphat, St. James, Absalom, and Zechariah. The two latter are real monuments of rock, the two former are only excavated tombs with ornamented portals.

The Tomb of Zechariah is so called in allusion to him who was “slain between the temple and the altar.” It is a square block, of about twenty feet on each side, the rock having been cut away round it, so as to form an area in which it stands isolated. The body of the tomb is about eighteen or twenty feet high, and apparently solid. The sides are decorated each with two columns, and two half columns, the latter adjacent to square pillars at the corners, and all having capitals of the Ionic order. Round the cornice is an ornament of acanthus leaves, about three feet high, and above this the top is formed by an obtuse pyramid ten or twelve feet in height.

Note:  Rouen from Mount Saint Catherine. Capital of Normandy.

The whole monument has thus an elevation of about thirty feet, and, with all its ornaments, is wholly cut out of the solid rock.1 It exhibits a singular mixture of the styles of Greece and Egypt; somewhat of the classic elegance of the former, with the massiveness of the latter.

1 Robinson, Biblical Researches, vol. i. p. 518.

Source: The Holy Land, Syria, Idumea, Arabia, Egypt, & Nubia, by David Roberts, George Croly, William Brockedon. London: Lithographed, printed and published by Day & Son, lithographers to the Queen. Cate Street, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, 1855.


Leave a Reply

Auguste Racinet. The Costume History by Françoise Tétart-Vittu.

Racinet's Costume History is an invaluable reference for students, designers, artists, illustrators, and historians; and a rich source of inspiration for anyone with an interest in clothing and style. Originally published in France between 1876 and 1888, Auguste Racinet’s Le Costume historique was in its day the most wide-ranging and incisive study of clothing ever attempted.

Covering the world history of costume, dress, and style from antiquity through to the end of the 19th century, the six volume work remains completely unique in its scope and detail. “Some books just scream out to be bought; this is one of them.” ―

The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World Paperback – December 7, 2021
by Virginia Postrel (Author)

From Neanderthal string to 3D knitting, an “expansive” global history that highlights “how textiles truly changed the world” (Wall Street Journal)

Fashionpedia - The Visual Dictionary Of Fashion Design

Fashionpedia - The Visual Dictionary Of Fashion Design

FASHIONPEDIA is a visual fashion dictionary covering all the technical terms from style to material to production with illustrations and infographics. It encompasses rich, extensive information and yet is easy to read. Whether you are an industry insider or a fashion connoisseur, FASHIONPEDIA is all you will ever need to navigate the fashion scene.

Textilepedia. The Complete Fabric Guide.

The Textile Manual is an encyclopaedia of textile information, from material to yarn, from fabric structure to the finishing process. Encompassing practical tips for a range of textiles and detailed visuals, this ultra-accessible manual is the perfect companion for fashion aficionados and aspiring fashion designers.


Couture: then and now Clothes define people. A person's clothing, whether it's a sari, kimono, or business suit, is an essential key to his or her culture, class, personality, or even religion. The Kyoto Costume Institute recognizes the importance of understanding clothing sociologically, historically, and artistically.