Traditional richly embroidered costume. Girl adorned with a wreath of flowers from Liptovský Mikuláš, Slovakia.
Liptovský Mikuláš is the largest town in the Liptovský Mikuláš region and at the same time its capital and the traditional centre of the Liptov region.
The town is located in the Liptov Basin (Slovak: Liptovská kotlina), a part of the larger basin under the Tatras between the Western Tatras to the north of the town and the Low Tatras to the south on the Váh River.
The town was first mentioned in a document in 1286 as possessio Scentmiklos. At that time it was a parish settlement near the church of St. Nicholas, which gave the town its name. After acquiring the right to hold markets in 1360, it began to develop as a market town, confirmed in 1424 by Sigismund’s grant of the right to hold a fair. Large parts of the medieval history are closely connected with the Pongrácz family, confirmed by the manor house that still exists today.