Ancient warriors. Life-size figures in full armor and equipment.
Carl Gimbel Collection.
Life-size warrior figures in full costume and equipment using individual original pieces. The reconstructions of the Gimbelschen weapons collection (Karl Gimbel) appeared in 1902 with illustrations and descriptions at Mittler and Son Berlin.
Head and limbs of the figures are carved from wood, movable part, each piece is up to them removable. The main purpose is to show the different armor types.
Source: Karl Gimbel: The Reconstruction of the Gimbel’s collection of weapons, Berlin 1902.
Go here for the full gallery: Knights and soldiers from antiquity to modern times. (German)
- Roman Legionary by the reliefs of Trajan’s column, Rome.
- Gallic warrior of about 400-200 BC.
- Greek Hoplite Warrior ca 600 BC.
- Knight of the 12th Century in the leather strip armor.
- Carolingian Frankish knight 9th-10th Century.
- Merovingian Frankish warrior about 600 AD.
Karl Gimbel: Die Reconstructionen der Gimbel’schen Waffensammlung. Mittler-Verlag, Berlin 1902.
1. Römischer Legionär nach den Reliefs der Trajans Säule Rom.
2. Gallischer Krieger von ca. 400-200 vor Christi Geburt.
3. Griechischer Krieger Hoplite ca. 600 vor Christi Geburt.
4. Ritter aus dem 12. Jahrhundert im lederstreifigen Harnisch.
5. Karolingisch fränkischer Ritter 9.-10. Jahrhundert.
6. Merowingisch fränkischer Krieger ca 600 nach Christi Geburt.
Byzantine, Medieval, Gothic, Burgundian fashion history
- The Barbarian Invasions. The Migration Period. (Historical Atlas)
- The Gallic and Gallo-Roman costume period. 3rd to 4th century
- Byzantine costume history. 5th to 6th century.
- Frankish Merovingian costume history. 4th and 5th century
- Carolingian Period 752-987. Reign of Charlemagne.
- The Carolingian Fashion Period 987 to 1270.
- Europe in the time of Charles the Great 768 – 814. (Maps, Places).
- The Corset and the Crinolin. Fashion history from Ancient until 19th century.
- 11th to 13th century. French fashion history.
- 11th to 13th century. German fashion history.
- 11th to 15th century. Caps and Hoods fashion.
- 13th century. French male fashion history.
- 14th century. German fashion history.
- 15th century. German male fashion history.
- 15th century. German female fashion history.
- 14th, 15th century. Italian fashion history.
- Eleanor of Aquitaine, Medieval Queen in the 12th century. Fashion history.
- Eleanor of Castile first wife of King Edward I. England 13th century
- Reigns of John and of Charles V. 1350 to 1380. (Medieval, Byzantine, Gothic)
- Reigns of Charles VI. and Charles VII. 1380 to 1461. (Medieval, Gothic, Burgundy)
- Headdresses of the 14th Century.
- Headdresses of the 15th century. The Hennin.
- Headdresses 15th century. The Reticulated Headdress.
- The Influence of the Crusaders to the French clothing. 13th to 14th century.
- The Knights Hospitallers. The First Crusade. 11th century.
- The Knights of the Teutonic Order of Knighthood. History of German Crusaders 12th century.
- The Crusades. The Knights Templar. Medieval military religious order. 12th century.
- Syria during the period of the crusades. Maps, Names, Places. Historical Atlas.
- Life-size warrior figures in full armor and equipment. Greek, Roman, Gallic, Merovingian, Carolingian.
- Armor in England from the 10th to the 18th century
- The Rise of Monachism. Monastic costumes history.
- The Romance of the Rose. The Art of courtly love.
- The Lady of Tournament delivering the Price.
- On the history of costumes. From Ancient until the 19th century.