The Prison of the Seven Towers. Yedikule Fortress or Dungeons of the Seven Towers in Istanbul, former Constantinople.
Exhibited in the vignette, were appointed by the chiefs of the first Crusade, after the capture of the city on July 15th, 1099, to be borne by the Christian king then elected.
This Engraving gives a general representation of the area which opens to the spectator on emerging from the “Chasm” by which he enters on the East.
This Vignette represents the facade of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which is built over the spot where our Lord was presumed to have been buried.
A view of the ancient Egyptian Temple of Hathor at Gebel Garabe, usually known as Serabit el-Khadim, in the Sinai, Egypt.
The view was magnificent, commanding El Ghor and the Wady Arabah, while above him towered the naked majesty of Mount Hor.
The citadel of Jerusalem, with the Tower of David, lies on the north-western part of Sion, to the south of the Jaffa Gate.
In the valley which conducts to Petra, and which lies outside the “Chasm,” is the chief Cemetery.
This view is taken from the Theatre, and represents the Excavations in the opposite cliffs; and the continuation of the chief eastern entrance to the City.
The architects of Petra had evidently a strong sense of beauty. The City, in its pomp and animation, have formed a combination altogether unrivalled.