Henry II. of France 1519-1559.
Henry II (March 31, 1519 in Saint-Germain-en-Laye, † July 10, 1559 at the Hôtel des Tournelles in Paris) from the House of Valois-Angoulême was from 1547 to 1559 King of France.
Henry was born in 1519 in the Royal Castle of Saint-Germain-en-Layeas as the second son of Francis I and Claude de France. He was Duke of Orléans. On July 25 In 1547 he was anointed as king in the cathedral Notre-Dame de Reims. Domestically, he continued the centralist ambitions of his father. With the edicts of Châteaubriant (1552) and Écouen (1559) he pursued the Huguenots, however, did not live to the outbreak of the religious wars (1562). Henry was an avid hunter and liked participated in tournaments. His mistress Diane de Poitiers shared this passion.
After Henry’s death France fell among his three sons as kings consecutive Franz II., Charles IX. and Henry III. in a more than forty-year period of dynastic instability and religious conflicts.
Costumes historiques de ville ou de théatre et travestissements. Author: Achille Devéria and José Domínguez Bécquer. Publisher Paris: Goupil et Vibert 1831. Publisher London: Charles Tilt 1839. Printed by: Lemercier & Cie.
Renaissance, Tudor fashion era.
- Reigns of John and of Charles V. 1350 to 1380. (Medieval, Byzantine, Gothic)
- Reigns’ of Charles VI. and Charles VII. 1380 to 1461. (Medieval, Gothic, Burgundy)
- Reigns of Louis XI, Charles VIII, and Louis XII. 1461 to 1515 (Late Medieval, Burgundy, early Renaissance)
- Reign of Francis I. 1515 to 1545. (Renaissance, Tudor)
- Reign of Henry II. 1547 to 1558. (Tudor, Renaissance)
- Reign of Francis II. 1559 to 1560. (Tudor, Renaissance)
- Reign of Charles IX. 1560 to 1574. (Tudor, Renaissance, Spanish court dress)
- Reign of Henri III. 1574 to 1589. (Renaissance, early Baroque, Spanish court dress, Tudor)
- Reigns of Henri IV. and Louis XIII. 1589 to 1643. (Renaissance, Baroque)
- Reign of Louis XIV. 1643 to 1715. (Baroque)
- Reign of Louis XV. 1715 to 1774. (Rococo)
- Reign of Louis XVI. 1774 to 1780. (Late Rococo)
- Reign of Louis XVI. 1780 to 1789. Le Pouf. Fashion in the Ancien Régime.
- The Reticulated Headdress. 15th century. Medieval Burgundy era.
- The Hennin. 15th century. Medieval Burgundy era.
- Costumes de Noblesse du 14ème siècle. Histoire de la mode médiévale.
- Gabrielle d’Estrées, mistress of the French King Henry IV. 16th century, Renaissance fashion era.
- Henri de Lorraine, duc de Guise. France 16th century. Huguenot wars.
- Madame de Pompadour. Her political power and general influence to Louis XV. Rococo era.
- 15th century medieval room interior. The history of Tobit. Historia Scholastica.
- The Corset and the Crinoline. Introduction of Cottes-Hardies. The Ladies of Old France.
- Pictures and Royal Portraits Illustrative of English and Scottish History.
- Les Modes de la Renaissance de l’an 1461 à l’an 1574.
- The Corset and the Crinolin.
- Characters of The Commedia dell Arte. Italian Renaissance Theater.
- The Rise of Monachism. Monastic costumes history.
- On the history of costumes. Fashion gallery from ancient until the 19th century.