GLOVES OF HENRY VIII.
(1491 – 1547)
One of the most beautiful pair of gloves probably in existence, and fortunately in a fine state of preservation. They are made of thin buff leather, light in color, and measure 12½ inches in length.
The gauntlets are divided into eight panels, four in front and four at back, the material being white satin embroidered with flowers and foliage in esthetic-colored silk, the stems of which are of gold thread. Each panel is edged with spangled gold lace and lined with rose-colored silk; a gusset is inserted between each panel to give strength to the upper part; a rucking of rose-colored silk, edged with gold lace, divides the glove from the gauntlet at the wrist.
The gloves are reputed to have belonged to Henry VIII., and are of so rich a character as to justify the statement.
They are the property of Alfred de la Fontaine, Esqr.
HAWKING GLOVE OF HENRY VIII
FROM A DRAWING BY THE AUTHOR
An interesting and authenticated hawking glove of Henry VIII. It is made of stout buff leather, with a short gauntlet curiously ornamented with circular discs worked in dull red and greenish blue thread, intermixed with silver wire; a smaller disc, of the same colors, is placed at the lower part of the little finger; while a singular pattern is traced with thread on the palm of the hand.
The cuff is lined some 2½ inches up with a fine canvas, which is turned over and outwards to form an edging, the glove itself being lined with stout white kid; the back of the hand is quite plain; the entire length of the glove is 1 1½ inches, and measures 5 inches across the wrist.
The labels on the palm refer to the number and description in the original catalogue of the “John Tradescant Collection, 1656,” in which are grouped these items: – “Henry the 8 his: Stirrups, Hawkes-hoods, Gloves”
The glove is treasured in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.
Source: Royal and historic gloves and shoes by W. B. Redfern. London: Methuen 1904.